From 2014-2017 he was a Marie Curie fellow at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) Computer Science and Artificial Intelligence Laboratory (CSAIL), and from 2015-2018 a research affiliate with the MIT Internet Policy Research Initiative (IPRI). From 2008-2014 he acted as Senior Researcher at Deutsche Telekom Laboratories. In 2008 he was a research intern at Telefonica Research. He earned the Ph.D. degree in Computer Science from Boston University in 2009 and the Diploma in Electronic and Computer Engineering from the Technical University of Crete.
His research brings a data- and measurement-driven approach to the study of the Internet's state, health, resilience, and performance, as well as to the enhancement of Web privacy.
Selected Awards and Honors
• 2021: Communications of the ACM Research Highlight
• 2021: IEEE Senior Member
• 2020: ACM Senior Member
• 2020: IETF/IRTF Applied Networking Research Prize
• 2019: Best of ACM SIGCOMM Computer Communication Review (CCR)
• 2019: IETF/IRTF Applied Networking Research Prize
• 2019: Best paper award in ACM CoNEXT
• 2018: Best paper award in ACM Internet Measurement Conference (IMC)
• 2017: Best paper award in IEEE INFOCOM
• 2016: Best paper award in ACM Internet Measurement Conference (IMC)
• 2015: Best paper award in ACM CoNEXT
• 2015: European Research Council (ERC) Starting Grant Award (ResolutioNet)
• 2013: Marie Curie International Outgoing Fellowship
• 2011: Best paper award in ACM Internet Measurement Conference (IMC)
- We organized a symposium on the "Web and Internet Policy" -- videos of talks are also available!
- 4 of our papers were accepted to ACM IMC 2020.
- We organized the firsth ACM SIGCOMM 2020 Workshop on Network Application Integration (NAI 2020).
- Are you interested in the "State of Network Neutrality Regulation"? Check our new CCR paper. Joint work with two regulatory economists!
- Our paper that reports on our experience in designing, building, rolling-out, and operating the first-ever large scale system ISP-CDN collaboration system received the Best Paper Award in CoNEXT 2019! and a IETF/IRTF Applied Networking Research Prize in 2020! . Check also, the blog for our paper in APNIC.
- Our paper on Reproducibility for Experimental Networking Research was selected as the "Best of CCR" in 2019
- A 2019 IETF/IRTF Applied Networking Research Prize goes to Florian Streibelt for our paper on BGP Community-based attacks (appeared at ACM IMC 2018).
- Our paper on inferring GDPR compliance of tracking flows received a Distingusihed paper award in ACM IMC 2018.
- I will deliver the keynote on "Networking + X" at the CoNEXT 2018 PhD Student Workshop
- Our paper on fine-grained attack mitigation at IXPs was accepted to ACM CoNEXT 2018.
- Our paper on incremental deployment of SDN in ISP networks, a collaboration with Yale University and Trinity College Dublin, was accepted to IEEE/ACM Transactions on Networking.
- Two of our recent works presented by Costas Iordanou and Florian Streibelt at the plenary of RIPE 77.
- Feature article of My Marie Curie project (CDN-H) appeared in the European Commission CORDIS
- My Marie Curie project (CDN-H) was highlighted as a success story in the European Commission Research Headlines
- Our paper on inferring BGP blackholing activity in the Internet was accepted to ACM IMC 2017.
- Our paper on detecting critical Internet infrastructure outages was accepted to ACM SIGCOMM 2017.
- Our paper on incremental deployment of SDN in ISP networks received the best paper award in IEEE INFOCOM 2017 [ Yale University, YINS, INFOCOM'17 Announcement ]
- Inauguration of the ERC Starting Grant ResolutioNet. [ Internet Policy Review ]